Sunday, December 28, 2014

Modern Nativity

My family has had the same nativity set for as long as I remember. However, this year was the first year we didn't set it up.

It could have something to do with several personages missing ceramic limbs. Therefore, my mother decided to get creative.


I didn't notice the new nativity right away because it was put together with sculptures that are usual decor in our household.


But, when I first notice it, and I mean took it in both artistically and spiritually, one title came to mind:



Modern Nativity.

Modern being in this day and age.


Most of you have probably seen the famous Willow Tree sculptures. Well,  my mother started a mini-collection a while back.


I remember when I left for college, my mother gave me my very own Willow Tree as a gift. It was this girl showing the sign for love in sign language. That girl accompanied me throughout four years of joy, struggle, and adventure.


My sister got one also. Her girl firmly has her hands shot up in the air declaring her courage.


My brother just recently got one, it's of a little boy kneeling and listening.


My Mother has one and the subtitle of it is, "Mi casa es su casa," that should be descriptive enough to why that describes my mother.


Our family has added on throughout the years. We have an angel of hope. We have an an angel caring for a bird. We have one of two sisters side to side that represents my sister and I. We have one with a mom and a son which represents my brother and mother.


Well, why is this important? Well, I bet you can guess what my mother made her nativity out of...




MODERN NATIVITY



  "SIGN FOR LOVE" 
~ I LOVE YOU~  

"For God so loved the world... " John 3:16



"COURAGE" 
~ BRINGING A TRIUMPHANT SPIRIT, INSPIRATION AND COURAGE~

“I sculpted the first Angel of Courage in 2001 to celebrate the triumphant spirit, inspiration and courage we call upon to face challenges in our lives — whether they be our health or the well-being of our loved ones... I hope this figure can be a reminder of people in our lives who inspire us with their strength and courage every day.” Susan Lordi



"INQUISITIVE CHILD"

~ ...NURTURED BY YOUR LOVING CARE~

Always wonder! Always look! Always search for truth!




"MI CASA" 
~ MI CASA ES SU CASA (MY HOUSE IS YOUR HOUSE)~

Christ should be the center of our homes.



"ANGEL OF HOPE"
~SHARING THE LIGHT OF HOPE AND COURAGE~

We are called to proclaim to all the earth of Christ! 



"ANGEL OF HEALING" 
~ FOR THOSE WHO GIVE COMFORT WITH CARING AND TENDERNESS~

"[The sculpture] came about intuitively, and so it was natural that the result ended up being very open to interpretation. The bird can be protection, comfort or healing. When I created it, I was thinking about the idea of fragility and how we sometimes need to heal our inside — our soul. A bird is so fragile and vulnerable … a metaphor for our inner feelings...” Susan Lordi

Christ is the Healer of our souls!





"TWO ALIKE" 
~CELEBRATING A UNIQUE HARMONY~
Front

“...close sisters, while they may share many qualities, still have differences that make each unique. This piece could also apply to best friends or cousins who are so close that they are essentially ‘sisters’.” Susan Lordi


"MOTHER AND SON"
~ CELEBRATING THE BOND OF LOVE BETWEEN MOTHERS AND SONS ~
Back

“I was thinking about the relationship between a mother and a son of about nine or ten — that certain age when boys start fiercely asserting their independence — and resisting hugs and kisses from their mothers. And yet, at the same time, secretly needing and wanting them. I wanted this sculpture to express that push and pull. Liking the touch but at the same time, pulling away.” Susan Lordi



THE STAR
"When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy." Matthew 2:10



"THE HOLY FAMILY"
~A CHILD IS BORN~

"The expressive gestures of Mary and Joseph reveal their humanity, and portray their overwhelming emotion of love and protection for their newborn child." Susan Lordi

"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11



My mother made us, her family, a part of the nativity. As followers of Christ, we testify that he was born although we were not there to see it. However, we feel it. We will continue to be part of the nativity for eternity. 

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." 
John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment